Monday, October 8, 2012

Make Connections. Make a Salad. .......

Crazy, but when I was in school, I was nnnnneeeeevvvvveeeeerrrrr taught how to think.  So, I'm not really sure how or when I truly learned to think about text while reading.  But then again, I also learned by sitting in perfectly straight words....never speaking aloud during lessons.....seriously, WOW!  


Picture from Angela Bunyi, Scholastic.com - Thank you!

Today I helped out a bit at our kindergarten professional development over comprehension.  My focus was metacognition.....so I chose to do the Reading Salad lesson.  I adapted this lesson from Tanny McGregor's book, Comprehension Connections.  I Totally LOVE this book!!!  If you read only one book this year, read this book!  It will change your thinking about teaching.

I started the lesson by reading a page from a book straight through, without any stopping. Then, I asked the group what they noticed about how I was reading. They shared comments like: reading very quickly, being able to read all the words, etc.  I told them I had a big secret to share with them. I was fake reading! I was able to read all the words..... a.k.a "word calling", and it looked like I was reading, but I was a actually thinking about having lunch with my friends instead! They couldn't believe it! I asked them to be honest, and raise their hands if they had ever just pretended to read. All their hands flew up in the air. They admitted to thinking about P.E. recess, lunch or even playing video games, not actually reading at all!  ....They admitted to only look like they were reading.  I couldn't believe how forthcoming they were! 

Next, I chose three special friends to come up to the front to be my assistants.  As I read aloud, one friend put in green squares of paper that represented the "text" part of the reading and another friend put in red squares of paper to whenever I stopped to think aloud about the text.  Another friend mixed the red and green together.  Voila!!!  REAL READING SALAD!

Bon Appetite!
Jen Bradshaw





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Apple Tree Learning Blog. :)

some_text