Sunday, April 6, 2014

Tutorial: How to Use QR Codes in the Classroom

QR Codes in the Classroom?


QR codes in the classroom

  • Using QR Codes in the classroom is beneficial to you and your students.
  • Learn how to generate your own QR codes to use with your students.





What is a QR code?
QR stands for Quick Response. These codes are very similar to a typical barcode.  You can scan a QR code by using an app with your smartphone, ipad, or your computer.  
The information is linked from the code back to you.  The information can be in the form of a text, website, video, etc.  QR codes have a very large storage capacity and are very quick. 

QR codes to use with students

How can I get started with QR codes in my classroom?
To get started, you will need to download a QR code reader app to your smartphone, ipad, or computer. Each of these items must have a camera for the reader to work correctly.  

For example, if you have an iphone, start by visiting the Apple Store and download a free QR code reader. I prefer using the i-nigma or the scan app


FREE APP - i-nigma 
APP - Scan


What are some ways that I can use QR codes in the classroom?

  • Link to YouTube video clips
  • Link to a ShowMe video
  • Link to a read aloud
  • Link to a book review
  • Link to a website
  • Link to a spelling list
  • Link to a webquest
QR code generator

How can I make my very own QR code?
There are several free online generators where you can create your own QR codes.  One of the most simple sites to use is http://www.qrstuff.com

1.  Go to http://www.qrstuff.com


2.  Select your data type:

  • Website
  • YouTube video
  • iTunes link
  • Plain text
  • Email address
  • Email message
  • SMS message (text message)
  • etc.


3.  Type in the correct content.  For example:  website URL (http://www.....)


4.  Select foreground color.  Most people select black, but this website allows you to choose any color.  FUN!  Look for the QR code to my blog:  Apple Tree Learning. I am really into teal these days, so I made mine teal.  :O) 


5.  Press enter.


6.  Download the QR code.


7.  Save the QR code to your desktop.


8.  Have fun!  :) 

This is a QR code to my TPT Store:  Apple Tree Learning.



Here is a FREE QR CODE handout that you can use to refer back to when using QR codes and for generating your very own QR codes.  It is a link to my Teachers Pay Teachers store - 
Apple Tree Learning.

If you do NOT have a Teachers Pay Teachers account and you would like to, please click here to 

Or, if you will leave me a message, I will email you a copy.

How do you use QR codes in your classroom?  I can't wait to hear from you!

jen :)


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Apple Tree Learning Blog. :)

some_text